Welcome back to Volume Three of the Lightkeeper’s List!
This is a list of all the people and things that are my Lightkeeper’s – shining out there, keeping the light on for me.
- CODA (Apple TV) – CODA is one of those stand out movies that only comes around once in a while and I am so glad I dived straight in without even watching the trailer! I almost don’t know where to start, as there were so many moments that had moved me and completely hypnotised me!
The movie follows Ruby, known as a Child of Deaf Adults (CODA), and her deaf parents and brother as they all manage the family fishing business and Ruby is completing school and considering college. Ruby discovers that she loves to sing and is considering musical college, which puts her at odds with her family’s needs as being their only interpreter to their local community. There are so many extra incredible things about this movie! Deaf actors played the characters who are deaf. All the on-set interpreters were a Child of Deaf Adults (CODAs). In music terms, a coda is a concluding passage of music, which is exactly what this coming of age story is about!
As someone who doesn’t have much exposure to the Deaf community and is fascinated by sign language, I learnt so much just by watching it and seeing the experiences that they go through every day. It highlighted the stigma around disability, the internal conflict of being a CODA, but there was also so much normality, joy and hilarious scenes in this movie. Marlee Matlin, who plays the mother in CODA , talks about the importance of accurate and authentic representation of the Deaf community on screen in this interview with IMDB.
Accompanying the movie, there is an Apple Music playlist created for Deaf people by Deaf contributors of their favourite songs and how they experience them.
- Conscious Being Magazine – A magazine for and by disabled women and non-binary people. I can’t remember how I found this magazine but I am so glad I did, because not only is it an amazing resource and specialised content for disabled and non-binary people, but it also led to me to following Elizabeth Wright – one of my new favourite people on the internet! Elizabeth Wright is an Australian living in the UK, and is a multiple Paralympic Medalist, Disability Campaigner, TEDx Speaker, Writer and Editor of Conscious Being Magazine. Her social media feeds are filled with uplifting content and advocating for disabled rights and education.
Follow Elizabeth Wright on Instagram and Twitter, and sign up to her incredible new newsletter Disability Allyship!
Read the first issue of Conscious Being Magazine for free and consider signing up to support the magazine through Patreon if you are interested!
- Speaking of our favourite Paralympians… Kurt Fearnley has been elected to the Olympic and Paralympic Games Organising Committee for Brisbane 2032! This not only brings huge change to the Olympic planning but brings about a massive societal change around Disability which we need more of in Australia. This tweet from Kurt is pure gold and I can’t wait to hear him start interrupting! Go for it Kurt!
- Hannah Diviney’s Disney Princess Petition– Hannah Diviney is on a mission to challenge Disney to give us a Disabled Disney Princess and we all know it’s about time! I’ve been following Hannah for a little while and this is a cause that I am proud to support because I know what it is like to not be able to see yourself reflected in the media and entertainment. Let’s give the next generation of children this gift. Sign the petition and follow Hannah on Instagram and Twitter.
- This Cup Of Jo article, ‘Visiting My Grandmother in England‘ was incredibly beautiful and moving. Joanna has been one of my favourite bloggers for over a decade! P.S. Always have a peek at the comments section – the Cup of Jo community is incredible and has the best stories, tips, reactions and support that I have seen on the internet!
Please leave me a comment below and share anything or anyone you have found recently that lights up your day!
Talk good care, Readers. I’ll Keep the light on.
The Lightkeeper’s List – Volume 7
Welcome to the next instalment of the Lightkeeper’s List!
The Lightkeeper’s List – Volume 6
Welcome to Volume Six of the Lightkeeper’s List! Today’s list has a focus on some amazing Australians! Let’s get straight into it!
The Lightkeeper’s List – Volume 5
Welcome to Volume 5 of the Lightkeeper’s List!
The Lightkeeper’s List – Volume 4
This is a list of all the people and things that are my Lightkeeper’s – shining out there, keeping the light on for me. Today’s list has a focus on some amazing Australians! Let’s get straight into it!